Three and one-third acres of land were purchased on January 14, 1954 by the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod Mission Board. Clairemont Drive was then an unpaved landing strip with two small buildings on site, one of which had been the flight tower of Waller Airfield. There was no electricity.
The first service was held on April 25, 1954. The Pastor of Logan Heights Lutheran Church, now Messiah Lutheran, was Rev. Kurt Brink. He conducted the service for the seventeen people who attended our little mission, named Holy Cross.
Newly ordained Rev. Richard Schinnerer served next but was not officially installed until April 24, 1955 and he served through January 8, 1960. A new church was built and dedicated on December 4, 1955. The 50th anniversary of Holy Cross was celebrated on 2004 with the reunion of those Pastors who had served and many, many former members in attendance.
The following Pastors have served at Holy Cross over the years indicated:
• The Rev. Donald Koenig (1960 – 1978)
• The Rev. Edwin Krueger (1978 – 1980)
• The Rev. Edward Wessling (1981 – 1989)
• The Rev. David Clark (1990 – 1997)
• The Rev. Daniel Hauschild (2000 – 2002)
• The Rev. Steven Wells (2003 – 2008)
• The Pastor William Smith (2008 – Present)
Additionally, Holy Cross Lutheran Church has been blessed with three Interim Pastors, The Rev. L. P. Rudolph, The Rev. John C. Rumsey, and The Rev. Warren Naegele and one Vacancy Pastor The Rev. Dr. Alan Wyneken.